Photoluminescent Signage for Egress Path Markings
Exit path markings are an essential part of fire and life safety systems for any building, particularly high-rise buildings. Proper signage helps employees and visitors exit the building or find their way to safe places in the event of a fire or other emergency. Standard signage can suffice when lighting is good, and emergency lighting kicks in if there’s a power outage. But even emergency lighting requires a power source, and in truly dire situations it can fail or be insufficient. That’s why photoluminescent signs ― otherwise known as glow-in-the-dark signs ― are such an important part of any building’s safety plan.
How Photoluminescent Products Work
As photoluminescent material is exposed to light, it stores energy. When light sources are removed, the stored energy is released and the signage “lights up.” Photoluminescent markings are built to comply with building and fire codes, including the standards of the National Fire Protection Association and Underwriters Laboratories. UL-listed photoluminescent products will produce light for a minimum of 30 minutes, with some lasting as long as 30 hours, and they’re effective even in blackout conditions.
Photoluminescent signage can come in adhesive rolls (ideal for marking stair treads), placards, durable aluminum strips, and more. Call our team today at 972-446-2600 to discuss your options.
Let’s Work Together On Your Next ProjectContact Us Today for a Free Quote
Benefits of Photoluminescent Signage
- Quick installation; photoluminescent signage can typically be attached with adhesive or a few screws
- No power source required; as long as photoluminescent signs are near a light bulb, they’ve got what they need!
- Minimal maintenance required; simply wipe off dust regularly
- Require no testing, inspection or special disposal
- Long-lasting; with no machinery to wear out, a photoluminescent sign can last for decades
Areas Where Photoluminescent Signage Can Be Helpful
- Stairwells and other areas without external windows
- Stair treads and other places where elevation changes quickly
- Exit routes, especially those designated as emergency exits
- Danger areas, such as those where floors are slippery
Trust Alpha Insulation & Waterproofing for Photoluminescent Products
Exit path markings are required by the International Fire Code® (IFC®) and many state and local jurisdictions. Ensure your building complies with all egress path marking requirements with photoluminescent strips and exit signs from Alpha Insulation & Waterproofing. We install glow-in-the-dark egress path products that meet or exceed UL1994 and ASTM E2072 requirements. With a variety of products for use in high-rise buildings, such as glow-in-the-dark stair treads, exit signs, and tape, we are your single-source provider of luminous exit path markings.
Contact Alpha Insulation & Waterproofing today at 972-446-2600 to learn more about our photoluminescent products.